Sunday 5 June 2011

Macmillan children's book illustrator competition


I entered a competition in May which was an illustration competition for a children's book which influenced work for my illustration and printmaking classes.The brief asked that we sketch out the whole 32 paged book and finish and colour 4 paged spreads which could include the cover.I worked very hard on this project and only had a few weeks to finish it, unfortunately I didn't win or was highly commended by the judging panel but I had a look at the work of those who were at the exhibition in Foyles Bookshop, London to see what i was up against. The winner was Gemma Merino a student from the Cambridge School of Art with her story 'The Crocodile Who Didn't Like Water' i thought this was a very good piece as it was in keeping with the age range of no older than 5years and the style was very lovable, i also found it was easy on the eye for a youngster which is always a good thing as many were confusing such as a piece by Emma Bennett (left) titled 'Sidney and His Shadow' which was mostly jumbled up text and small illustrations the l
ikes of what you would see on the side of a coffee cup or jumped up organic produce no offence intended but I do not feel that this was particularly good or suitable for a young child.
I liked all the pieces for their different and professional looking styles I really feel that I need to neaten up my finished pieces next time I enter even though the brief said that the book can be done in any media it looked like all the work exhibited was tidied up on Photoshop and I feel that this is where I failed. I also feel that I had seen these styles before somewhere and they weren't very original where as my style is my own and not to sound to sour but I feel that if my work was neatened up I would of won.
here are the rest that I liked at the exhibition.
Second Prize Elys Dolan 'Weasels' (Cambridge School of Arts)

Third Prize Jay Wright 'The Lonley Matador' (University of West England)

Highly Commended Sophie Burrows 'Pigs Can't Fly' (University of West London)

No comments:

Post a Comment