Monday 24 May 2010

One 'L' of a driver

My Mum used to be a driving instructor and was teaching me to drive. I say used to be, as she has gone back to working in an office now. I don' t think I was totally the reason she gave it up, but I may have contributed to it. I never got to the stage where I was able to take my driving test as I was too lazy to learn the highway code and take my theory test. I just enjoyed getting into the driving seat and kinda pointing the car in the direction I thought I should go and putting my foot down. I had no fear, I don't know if that was because I was not fully aware of the dangers on the road, or hazard perception as my Mum would keep pointing out to me as she braked on the dual control and forced me to slow down and grabbed hold of the steering wheel in order that I gave additional clearance to the parked vehicle on the left. The other thing that I found annoying about driving is the fact that she insisted I wear my glasses all the time. She said I would not pass my test if I didn't wear them as they would make me read a number plate at a given distance before they would even let me take the test. I'm not cool about wearing glasses all the time which is another reason that I would probably not make a good driver as I don't notice signs much without them and I would probably get lost. Sat nav would obviously help, but it's possible I might miss that one way street sign and go up it the wrong way so I resigned myself, for now, to be a pedestrian, besides, most of my friends drive anyway, so why bother, I can always have that drink when we go out and it's a cheap round for me as they are driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment