Monday 24 May 2010

Pole Dancing

I am learning pole dancing to keep fit, but I actually love it and have found that I'm pretty good at it. I've tried the gym which I found boring, swimming which bleaches the purple out of my hair and ice skating which is hard on the ankles as a means of keeping fit and although I was not bad at ice skating, despite a couple of fractures, I had trouble with the jumps as I have doggy knees which are too flexible and don't lock in the correct position so had to give that up.

My doggy knees, however, don't prevent me from performing on the pole and in fact, my extra flexibility is an asset. The only problem I have encountered so far, apart from the bruising on my arms and legs, is the blisters I get on my hands. It's ok if the pole is well polished, but last week, I hired an hour at a club to practise with my friend Rosie who comes to classes with me and the pole was a bit rough to say the least. Next week I will have to take some Mr Sheen with me and give it a bit of a rub down first. I've also realised that I need to do a few weights to strengthen my arms, especially when you are trying to do the fan, which is a move where you are upside down on the pole and you fan your legs open, this is not for the faint hearted! However, its always a good thing to have another string to your bow, so if I don't make it as an artist you may well be able to see me perform as an "artist" - Spearmint Rhino - here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment